The existing 8,000 square foot Thonotosassa library facility is functionally obsolete and cannot accommodate the full array of library services requested by customers such as library meeting room space and technology programs and instruction. The building is structurally constrained and continues to require significant system upgrades and repairs. There has been significant growth in Thonotosassa since the library was built in 1989. The Library’s Capital Facilities Master Plan calls for additional library space in the area due to population increase and projected growth.
Plans for Cooperative – Library Services
- The proposed new library is planned to be 15,000-18,000 square feet and co-located with Hillsborough County Parks & Recreation to bring a full range of recreational and education opportunities to residents.
- The new library would include traditional services and a broad collection of books and other materials, meeting rooms of multiple sizes, and reading/work spaces both indoors and outdoors.
- There would be a dedicated children's library space with an Early Learning Hive where pre-school children can learn through tactile play.
- Planned improvement of technology access beyond standard Wi-Fi (both inside and outside the building) and computer access to dedicated technology/creative spaces, technology lending, and a recording studio.
Plans for Cooperative – Parks & Recreation
- The new facility would create a single destination site by connecting the existing 19.1 acres (zoned for agricultural) Park and Community Center to new Library site and amenities.
- Planned replacement of dilapidated football complex with new fields, concession stand, board room, and LED lighting.
- The new facility would have the opportunity to add amenities including; an inclusive playground, splash pad, skate park with a pump track, outdoor fitness equipment, pavilions, benches, walking trails, or a boardwalk.
- The consolidation of the Park and Library sites in this area will inherently improve safety for visitors and operations for Parks and Recreation.