Achieve your dream! Earn a high school diploma.
What is Career Online High School?
Earn your accredited High School Diploma and a Career Certificate. Available by limited scholarships through the library, Career Online High School offers qualified adults the opportunity to complete their high school education and gain career training through a self-paced, supportive, and accredited online education program.
- Earn an accredited high school diploma in less than 18 months while preparing for a career in one of nine high-demand, high-growth fields
- Take classes online, giving you the flexibility of 24/7 access to schoolwork
- Be supported by certified instructors and academic coaches who care about your success
- Gain career readiness with a portfolio including a resume, cover letter, and job preparation support
- Be an adult age 19 and older
- Be a resident of Hillsborough County
- Have a library card or sign up for one
- Ability to dedicate approximately 8 hours per week to complete coursework
- Computer and Internet access to complete online coursework (computer access is available at all library locations)
Ready to Get Started?
Follow these steps:
- Complete the online self-assessment to determine if this program meets your educational and career needs.
Are You Ready?
Select Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library.
- Use your library card to enroll and complete a prerequisite course in two weeks or less.
- A library staff member will contact you to schedule an interview date and discuss your application into the program.
- 4 Language Arts credits: Grammar & Composition, Introduction to Literature, World Literature, American Literature
- 3 Mathematics credits: General Math, Consumer Math, Algebra
- 4 Social Studies credits: World History, American History, American Government & Economics, Health & Personal Fitness
- 3 Science credits: Earth & Space Science, Physical Science, Biology
- 4 Career Elective credits: In your chosen career focus
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: How long will it take me to complete the program?
- Depending on how many credits you transfer in, you can be on your way to earning your high school diploma in as little as five months. You will be given up to 18 months to complete the program. The average time to complete is 12 months.
- Q: Is COHS accredited?
- Yes. COHS is fully accredited as an online school district by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accreditation seal. Learn more about Accreditation.
- Q: Is all coursework web-based?
- Yes. You can access it online, 24/7.
- Q: What career preparation is included?
- The program offers nine career tracks: General, Food and Hospitality, Home Care Professional, Office Management, Child Care and Education, Retail Customer Service, Commercial Driving, Security Professional, and Hospitality and Leisure. Scholarship recipients do these courses first.
- Q: Will I need to purchase textbooks?
- No, you will not. However, the Language Arts classes may require novels, which you can check out from the library.
- Q: Does the Library offer other resources for education and job preparation?
- The library is committed to helping people meet their education and job preparation needs. We encourage you to visit our Career & Education page or your local library, where staff may be able to help you find a local agency or resource that will best fit your needs.